During February I participated in the #DungeonDrawingDudes challenge. For each day of the month there was a prompt for a D&D themed drawing. I’ve found it to be a big challenge. I’ve been stretched by it. I’ve enjoyed seeing what everyone’s contributed. I thought I’d post a few things I’ve learned and one thing that I would change.
I’ve learned to turn stuff around quick
Earlier in the year I had already set myself a challenge to draw something to each week to use in my own D&D campaigns. The daily challenges really intensified that challenge and meant that I really needed to get into a rhythm of producing daily. I subscribe to the idea that if you want to get creative work done you just need to get into the momentum of producing, even if what you’re producing isn’t the best. The discipline of finishing something sub-par can help you follow through into something decent.
I’ve learned how to draw figures better
In response to someone else’s contribution on Instagram one day I mentioned that I hate hands because I don’t know how to draw them well. In response I was told that I should channel my hatred of hands into learning to do them. I’ve often said that I’m not good at drawing figures acurately, that I’m not good at getting proportions right or drawing arms that look like they would work properly. I’ve hidden behind the fact that my signature style is pretty abstract. The idea that I should put energy into learning these things properly really inspired me. What I ended up doing to improve was downloading a couple of apps that allow you to manipulate anatomical models, and I used this to help me draw more realistic figures for a number of my contributions. (I still did plenty in my regular style.)
I’ve learned to look at earlier editions for ideas
I’ve played a little bit of 3rd Edition, Pathfinder and Labyrinth Lord, but most of my experience with D&D is of 5th Edition, and I doubt I’ll ever go back to early versions of D&D. However, there is so much creative contentavailable in the earlier editions which could be adapted for 5th Edition. I appreciated having the challenge of drawing an arachnomancer from 3rd Edition, and think it’d be intersting to adapt to 5th Edition. I’m also keen to have a look through other content from earlier editions for ideas.
I’ve learned to be creative and not just do stuff like it is in the Monster Manual
I noticed that some some of the challenges got a bit dull. I got up to the drider challenge and was thoroughly uninspired until I came up with the idea of giving the drider many eyes, making it’s elven fact look more mad and spiderlike.
What I’d change: the name
The one thing I’d change about this challenge is the name. I know what some people use ‘dude’ as a nongendered term, but a lot of people do see ‘dude’ as a masculine noun. I think that if a clearly non-gendered name was used, like #DungeonDrawingDorks, we’d see a more diverse range of contributors.
If you’d like to use my illustrations in your game, the files are here. (Please don’t publish them elsewhere without my permission though.)
If you’d like to republish any of the illustrations, or if you’d like to commission some illustrations for your own game, shoot me an email.
The challenge continues in March: